Version never updated?

Hi,

i bought Acorn in the app store. i have Version 4.5.8 (11540). Now i got a new M1 Mac, and i noticed Acorn runs as Intel application. Did you never update the app store for existing users? Version 4.5.8 (11540) is almost a decade old…

Since the App Store does not have a paid upgrade track from previous versions, we have to release a new “product” in the App Store. We also lowered the price of Acorn as well to compensate for this. It used to be $50. At any rate, we have to do this if we want charge for major upgrades (which we need to do if we want to stay in business).

If you want to use an M1 native version of Acorn, then you’ll need to purchase Acorn 7 either directly from us or from the App Store.

I really wish there was a decent upgrade path - it worked for decades previously, but Apple just hasn’t found it in their heart to make it happen.

As a side note - I think it’s awesome you’ve been using Acorn 4 for almost a decade now. I like it when apps have a long shelf life.

1 Like

Not so awesome unfortunately. It becomes less and less usable with every os update.
Web export - crash. Text tool - crash. Zoom in more than 100% - incorrect cursor position. And that’s even on old intel machine.
Painful to pay again for features that you perhaps do not even need. But still better than subscription model.

I think if you pay for software you use regularly only once every ten years - that’s a pretty good deal. Even more so if you got it on sale (like it is currently for our 20th anniversary celebration).

1 Like