Saving for web in GIF and PNG

It looks like standard browsers support few image formats, it’s not that many of them.

1. Jpeg
  2. GIF
  3. PNG

Saving in Jpeg format seems to be OK,
GIF is trickier, because GIF is compresses by limiting number of colors, and selecting how many of those colors to use, which ones to use and selecting a transparency color is essential for web work.
Next, PNG actually has two modes, unlimited color space and fixed palette, just like GIF. So there should be distinction for those.
Is this something in the plans or is there a work around?

We don’t have any plans to support a fixed palette for PNGs right now. We occasionally are asked, but it’s not a high priority.

@ccgus is it possible to limit the number of colors in GIF?

You can use the Indexed PNG node before writing it out as a GIF. That’ll let you choose the number of colors (though not the actual colors used).

Sorry! Just realized this was for Acorn, not Retrobatch.

And to answer the question, there’s no way to limit the colors for a GIF (though there is for PNG) in Acorn.

No, it’s Retrobatch. My mistake. Didn’t notice it was the Acorn forum.

I tried the Indexed PNG node. Seems to work perfectly except the generated GIF does not open in Photoshop. I receive the following error message:

That’s odd- I wonder if PS doesn’t support certain types of PNG files. Can you send us the problem file to support@flyingmeat.com so we can take a look at it?

Thanks @ccgus! I’m on vacation until next Monday so I will not be able to send the file before the following week. Stay tuned!

Back from vacation. GIF sent.