Capture Topmost Layer as Screenshot – Is It Possible..?

Just wondering if it’s possible to capture the topmost layer as a screenshot (sent to the clipboard), instead of using MacOS’s Cmd-Shift-4? If not, I’d like to propose it as a feature!

TIA,

Tim

By topmost layer, do you mean the front window? This isn’t currently possible in Acorn (though Retrobatch can filter can capture only specific apps with its filter property)

HI, Gus… no I mean the current topmost layer in the layer stack. I generally need to capture the topmost layer to paste into another application. I currently have to use Cmd-shift-4 and drag out a marquee to do this…

Is the Edit ▸ Copy (⌘C) menu item not doing what you’re after when you have the layer selected?

It does, up to a point… I need to merge the topmost two layers and then copy the resulting layer. Trouble is, I always get a blank space to the left of the resulting copied layer, so I have to crop it in Preview. This doesn’t happen if I copy an unmerged layer.

Well, that shouldn’t be happening, and I’d like to get that fixed.

Are you able to reproduce the problem with a new image? I just tried and couldn’t get it to happen on my end. And if you have time, could you make a screen recording of what the steps you’re using are and send that to support@flyingmeat.com? (To make a screen recording, open up QuickTime Player (in your Applications folder), and then choose the File ▸ New Screen Recording menu item.)

Thanks!