A way to change default .jpeg extension to .jpg

Right now the default extension for JPEG files is “.jpeg”. Even if I try to change the extension to “.jpg” when i want to Export, it gives a message that the required extension is “.jpeg”, not “.jpg”.

Can it be “remembered” somehow when I change to “.jpg” once, to be set as default and not to bring up “.jpeg” again?

For both File ▸ Export ▸ Export… and File ▸ Export ▸ Web Export… , Acorn will remember if you used .jpg previously or not, and should auto-fill the right extension the next time you use it.

Are you exporting a different way? Or is it one of those two, and it just isn’t working for you? (I should note that the format popup will always say “JPEG”, but that shouldn’t matter for your extension).

On File > Export > Export it does not allow* extension change, here is a screenshot
Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 23.26.31

• I just tried to reproduce this behavior, but I couldn’t. The only thing I did is save “Untitled.jpg” and from that moment, the “jpg” extension was remembered.

On File > Export > Web Export it allows and remembers it if the current open file name extension is jpg.

Why don’t you make the same on “Save” and “Save As…”?

Save and Save As… should do the same.

But- I’ve never seen that dialog before in Acorn! The system is popping it up for some reason. @nenad, can you tell me what OS you are running this on? And exactly what version of Acorn you’re using?

I am running Catalina 10.15.5 with Acorn 6.6.1 (13771)

But, I am running Catalina on an unsupported Mac (using dosdude1’s patch), so maybe that is the reason. Although so far everything else is functioning normally.

If Acorn keeps log files, let me know where to find them, and I will send them to you.

I don’t know if the hackintosh aspect of this is causing the issue or not. And there aren’t any log files that would show any information that would be useful to me.

But- does the same problem still occur if you try and save as .jpg in Preview.app? That would at least point it to being a system problem vs. an Acorn problem.

Sorry for the delay, but in the meantime that laptop broke and I switched to another Macbook Pro which is supported and runs Catalina.

If I have for example opened a PNG file and if I go to “Save As…” and choose JPEG, then the extension is always “.jpeg”. Even if I change it, next time when I open a PNG file and try to “Save As…” as JPEG, the extension is always “.jpeg”

In Preview.app it hides the extension by default, but when I go to “Get Info” on the file saved by Preview, I see that the extension is “.jpg”

OK, I just took a deep dive on this, and while web export does the right thing in this regard (defaults to whatever you used last), Apple’s sandboxing of the Save window in 10.15 seems to have killed my workaround for it.

I’ve been looking for a workaround and haven’t found it yet (and haven’t quite figured out how Preview.app is doing it!). I’ll do my best to get it done though.