Feature Request: Convert to WebP

Can you add support to convert an image to WebP format? Ideally it would support both PNG and JPG as source formats and would retain transparency in PNG formats.

Thanks!

1 Like

I’ll see about adding it to Retrobatch as a native type in a future release- but it’s possible to make this happen today in a couple of ways.

The first is to download the cwebp tool, and use that in a Shell Script node.

The second is to try a little plugin I just put together for Retrobatch Pro called “Convert to WebP”:
https://flyingmeat.com/retrobatch/jsplugin/Convert%20to%20WebP.retrobatchplugin.zip

That plug-in also requires version 1.2.1 which is currently in beta, and you can grab from here: Latest Builds from Flying Meat

Try it out, and let me know how it works for you! The plug-in will require you to set an output folder as well. And it’s not been tested by anyone by myself, so hiccups are possible.

-gus

Thanks, Gus. In the interim I have setup a node script that uses imagemin (with imagemin-webp) and it’s working, but not ideal.

I’ll give the plugin a shot to see if it will work.

Gus, I’ve updated to the 1.2.1 beta and installed the plugin but I can’t figure out how to actually use the plugin. Are there docs somewhere you can point me to on how to use a plugin?

I’ve searched searched in the app for Nodes using both “webp” and “plugin” and am not getting any results.

There should be a “Convert to WebP” node in the Plug-In category. Also- it requires 10.14 or later, because the cwebp library uses Rust or something. Are you on a previous version of the OS?

Ah, that’s it. I’m still on 10.13. At some point I’ll upgrade and will give the plugin a try then.

Thanks for the help in any case.

Just an update on this- for the 1.4.2 update I’ve added preliminary WebP support to Retrobatch. You can grab a preview of it from here: Latest Builds from Flying Meat

I’d appreciate any feedback on this if you have any.

Please bring back webp export menu option in Acorn

See linked thread thanks

I’ll see what I can do!