Help needed resizing maps for printing
  • I need assistance getting something done using Acorn. I am a complete and abject beginner with graphics software of any kind.

I play D&D. And part of D&D is having a fun dungeon or haunted house to explore, right? Right! For many of the dungeons, I usually use maps other people create. Previously, I would take their maps and draw them out at the size I need for gaming with miniature figures. But I'd like to resize those JPEGs and either print it out in multiple sheets on my home printer or take the resized picture to my local office supply store and print on poster sized sheets.

So, can someone teach me how to use Acorn to accomplish this?

Here's an image I can point at for an example. I do support this artist through Patreon, but the maps are also licensed as free for personal use.

On that webpage, once you click on the map picture, you get a larger version which I then save as a jpg file. I would like to print this such that each of the squares in the open floor space of this map comes out at 1 inch square (or maybe a little larger for the miniatures to move around on).

Once I have it resized, can it be saved at that larger size and taken to a print shop to print out on a poster sized sheet? How do I figure out how large that printed image will be so I can specify the right size paper?

Or, since this is a simple greyscale image, can Acorn paginate the larger document across multiple sheets of 8.5" X 11" sheets and I can tape them together to lay out on the table?

Thanks in advance to any and all who can assist and teach! Please be very verbose with instruction as I really have no experience with this kind of software.

TMan
  • If you want to divvy up the image for printing across multiple sheets of paper, Acorn isn't the ideal app to use.  If you follow the thread at this link, it looks like folks have good success with Adobe Acrobat Reader which you can download for free.

With regards to printing the image on one large sheet of paper, you can view your image in inches as outlined here:

And this link talks about printing:

Hope that helps!

• Thanks Kirstin!

I tried playing around with Acorn (download version with time limit) to see what I could accomplish. I found some instructions on the web for using Photoshop for this and tried adapting those instructions to Acorn. Briefly, in case anyone else ever wants to try this, it went like this - 
    1) Open a copy of the original drawing. Select the Rectangular Select tool (M).
    2) Drag a square around one of the squares of the map drawing. In the sub window with information about your selection, note that you can see the number of pixels your selection grabbed. In my case, it was 79 X 74 pixels.
    3) Assuming we want 300 dpi resolution for printing, we have to resize the whole image so that what started as 64 pixels comes out as 300. 
      So 300 / 74 = 4.05405. Let's just call it 4.05. So the whole image has to be upsized 4.05 times.
    4) Go up to the Image menu and select 'Resize Image'. In the window which pops up, make sure you have the units showing pixels AND the box "Keep aspect ratio" is checked. With the image I suggested as an example, the window shows 2183 wide X 2152 high. Resolution is already showing 300 pixels per inch.
    5) Multiply 2183 * 4.05 = 8841.15, round up to 8842. Type 8842 in the width box and the height box changes to 8717. Click OK
    6) Now, with rulers on and using inches as the units, you can see that the whole document is resized and is now about 29" by 29". The squares are just a little bigger than 1" square, but that works just fine for my uses. Save as a JPEG and now I hope I can take this to a print shop and get it on a poster for Sunday night's D&D game.

I will also try printing to PDF and see if Acrobat Reader will let me break it up over multiple sheets at the right size.

Thanks again to Kirstin!
    TMan

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID