File corruption when using "New Layer with Selection" and curves
  • I'm getting a consistent horizontal and vertical "smearing" of pixels when creating a "New Layer with Selection" and then trying to adjust the contrast of that layer with curves either from the filter menu or from the image menu. The smearing will stay on that layer even if I close the curves adjustment with the "x" in the upper left of the window. The only way to get rid of it is to cancel the filter adjustment with the "x" in the upper right corner of the window.

I'm on a Mac Pro (early 2008), OS El Capitan (was also happening with Yosemite), with 24GB of memory (I recently added 8GB to bring it from 16GB to 24GB thinking it might have been alack of memory issue).
  • We haven't been able to reproduce this yet on our end.  Can you send a sample image showing the behavior (in the .acorn file format) to support@flyingmeat.com?  That will help us problem solve further.  

Thank you!
  • @MplsArtist- Are you using 10.11.1 by any chance?  Apple introduced a fun new bug in that release which caused some problems in Acorn.  I think we've got it worked around for the next release of Acorn however.  If you get a chance, can you download and try the 5.2 preview from:

And let us know if the problem still occurs?

-gus
  • Kirstin:
    I sent you a cropped area of the file in question. The smearing appears on the left side and becomes more pronounced with enlargement of the image.

Gus:
    Yes, I am on El Capitan 10.11.1
    I'll take a look at Acorn 5.2

Thanks for your help!
  • Thanks for sending along the file- we got it.

Based on your description in that email, I'm pretty sure it's the selection issue that showed up in 10.11.1.  Let us know if 5.2 doesn't resolve the problem for you, and we'll see if we can figure out what else might be happening.
  • Gus:
    Same problem occurs using Acorn 5.2

The problem seems to get worse as the number of layers increases. Which makes me wonder if it's a memory problem. I just added another 8Gb to my computer a few days ago and it seems as if the smearing isn't as bad as it was previously where 30-50% of the whole image was smearing.

I've sent a screen capture of this morning's test to your support email
  • Thanks for the email- we got it.  I don't think it's a memory problem, rather it's a symptom of a bug that was introduce in 10.11.1, which I thought we found all the workarounds for in 5.2, but I'm guessing we missed one.

Can you send the file to support?  Our tests are probably missing a case that you're seeing.

-gus

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID